When is a Permit Required?

Permits are required when building, remodeling or enlarging a building. Permits are also required for other improvements to your property. Projects that are cosmetic, such as painting, wallpapering, carpeting, cabinets and trim work, etc., do not require permits. Additionally, permits are not required when replacing light fixtures on existing wiring, replacing plumbing faucets or when replacing existing siding on a building.

The following is a list of projects for which a permit is required:

  • Construction of a building:
    • Main building
    • Accessory building (including permanent and portable storage sheds, gazebos, carports, patio covers).
  • Foundation
  • Additions to a building
  • Remodeling of a building requiring the addition or replacement of walls or windows
  • Building or replacing a deck or concrete drives, patios or walkways
  • Electrical (Repair work such as replacing switches, plugs and ballasts is exempt).
  • Plumbing work (except for repair or replacement of lines less than one foot in length).
  • Water heaters (replacing or adding).
  • Water softeners
  • Replacing water or sewer lines. (Repair work such as exchange of washers and faucets is exempt. Also, repair or replacement of lines less than one foot in length do not require a permit)
  • Irrigation systems (lawn sprinklers).
  • Installing or replacing a furnace
  • Installing or replacing an air conditioning
  • Building or replacing a fence. A permit is not required for repair of pickets if it involves a section of fence 20 feet or less in length. Permits are always required when fence posts are installed or replaced.
  • Building or replacing a retaining wall over four feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall.
  • Building a swimming pool, repairing or filling in a swimming pool
  • Building a spa (self contained portable plug-in type spas require an electrical permit)
  • Demolition of a building
  • Security bars
  • Replacing brick on the outside of a building
  • Any modification to the exterior of a building in the Historic District requires a Certificate of Appropriateness. Please see a City Planner for more information.

This is not an all-inclusive list. Questions concerning your specific project should be forwarded to the Building Inspection Division. Please call (972) 230-9610 if you have any questions.

NOTE: Please contact your Homeowner’s Association (if applicable) for additional requirements from Deed Restrictions and Covenants.