Whom do I call to inquire about a Citation for Non-Permitted Alarm System?
Call the City of Desoto Municipal Court at 972.230.9674. Municipal Court Page
Where do I go to purchase an Alarm Permit?

Alarm permits can be registered / purchased online at https://www.crywolfservices.com/desototx/

Who do I call with questions about my account?
Calls about alarm permits / accounts please dial 833.981.4011
I am a Senior Citizen, do I get a discount?
Alarm fees are waived for persons 65 years of age and older. Seniors must provide proof of age when registering for the alarm permit.

Senior Citizens are subject to fines and fees resulting from false alarms.

How do I cancel my alarm permit?
You can manage your alarm permit at https://www.crywolfservices.com/desototx/ or call 833.981.4011
Where Can I Find More Information on Alarm Permits?
Visit our page here: Alarm Permits
What should I expect at the animal shelter?
Animal Shelters can be difficult places for some people to go because of the barks, smells, and it is often very busy. You will see animals that are available for adoption and those that are not. Our staff will have plenty of information for you to help you through the process of adopting a new pet or finding a lost pet.
How long do you hold animals?
Initially we hold animals for a minimum of 72 hours. After that time they are evaluated for adoption. Once an animal goes up for adoption we try to hold on to him as long as possible. There is, however, no set amount of time that any animal will stay available for adoption
Does the Tri-City Animal Shelter microchip animals?
All animals adopted or reclaimed from the Tri-City Animal Shelter & Adoption Center will be required to be microchipped. The fee for this is $25 and includes free registration with the national microchip company, AVID.
A microchip is a permanent form of identification, as long the chip is registered, and the registration is kept up to date. The registration information will be filled out prior to leaving with the pet and the shelter will mail it in to the company.

The goal of requiring the pets to be microchipped is twofold:

Increase the number of pets that are reunited with their owners, and
Increase the responsibility of pet owners who continue to allow their pets to run at large.

If you have any questions about microchips, please feel free to contact the shelter.

When will an animal go up for adoption?
There is no guarantee that an animal will go up for adoption. Evaluation can take several days and animals can not be evaluated until their stray hold is up. Some animals will not be evaluated for the adoption program at all if they show any signs of aggression.
What is involved in adopting a pet?
You must be 18 years old and have a valid Texas Driver’s License. The adoption fee is variable. You must sign an agreement to have the animal spayed or neutered, and to have it vaccinated for rabies. All adopted animals must also be microchipped.
What kind of pet should I get?
First of all, look at your lifestyle. Is it fast paced or laid back? Are you allergic to cats and/or dogs? Do you live in a house with a backyard or perhaps an apartment? These are just a few things that you should consider before adopting an animal.
Water Heaters in the Garage: If I have an existing electric or gas water heater in or accessible from the garage, must I raise it 18 inches above the floor level when it is replaced?
Yes, for gas water heaters. The open flame of the pilot light of a gas water heater is a source of ignition for flammable or combustible vapors, such as gasoline, that may have accumulated along the garage floor. The 18-inch elevation is intended to keep ignition sources above these vapors that are heavier than air and settle to the garage floor. Electric water heaters are not required by code to be elevated above the garage floor.
Common Homeowner Permits: What are some of the more common permits that homeowners should be concerned with?
Typically projects like fences, portable buildings, water heater replacement, room additions, carports and swimming pools are the most common projects that will affect homeowners. Permits and inspections are required for these types of projects.
Acquiring a Permit: How does one acquire a permit?
A building permit application along with building construction plans are required to be submitted to the Building Inspections Department. Staff is available to assist when applying for a building permit.
Inspections Required: When is a building inspection required?
A building inspection is required before any part of the construction is concealed and at the completion of the project. Work involving mechanical, electrical, plumbing, framing and insulation must be inspected prior to concealing.
Building Permits Required: Why does the City of DeSoto require building permits?
Permits are required when the owner or agent intends to construct, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace an electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the adopted construction codes. 
Construction Hours: What are the hours of work for construction?
Excavation, demolition, erection, alteration or repair of any building in or adjacent to a residential area other than between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on weekdays, 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. on Saturdays, and 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. without heavy equipment on Sundays, is prohibited, with the exception, as approved by the Building Inspections Department, of conditions of urgent necessity or conditions that are in the best interest of public safety.
Building Codes and Zoning: What is the difference between a building code and zoning?
Building codes regulate the trades of building, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fuel gas and energy conservation. Zoning is a local control tool that regulates open space, building setbacks and heights, and how the land can be used.
Contractor Registration: Do I have to register as a contractor with the City of DeSoto?
Yes... The City of DeSoto requires all contractors to register annually. Please contact the Building Inspections Department at 972.230.9610 for additional information on contractor registration. Contractor registration applications
Requesting a Building Inspection: How do I request a building inspection?
For your convenience, we have established an online contractor portal to schedule all inspections. Requests must be requested, online by 4:00 pm THE DAY BEFORE, for a next day inspection. There are no "Same Day" inspections except in emergency cases determined by the Building Official.
Building Codes Adopted: What building codes has the City of DeSoto adopted?
The City of DeSoto has adopted the 2021 International Codes, which includes the International Building Code (IBC), International Residential Code (IRC), International Plumbing Code (IPC), International Fuel Gas Code (IFCG), International Mechanical Code (IMC), International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), and the International Fire Code (IFC). The 2023 National Electrical Code (NEC) is the adopted electrical code., with local amendments.

Certificate of Occupancy: What is a Certificate of Occupancy?
A Certificate of Occupancy (C.O.) is a document required by the building code to operate a commercial business within the City of DeSoto. When a commercial structure is in compliance with all building, fire and health codes and the proposed business use is allowed by the zoning regulations, the building official is authorized to sign and issue a Certificate of Occupancy. Certificate of Occupancy applications are available on-line.

The Certificate of Occupancy must be posted in a prominent place on the premises and shall not be removed except by the building official. A new Certificate of Occupancy is required when ownership changes or a new business occupies the premises.

Certificate of Occupancy Inspections: What inspections are required for a Certificate of Occupancy?
The type of inspection will vary from business to business, according to the nature of the proposed use and activity in the building. However, the following is a list of the most frequently encountered areas of non-compliance found during a Certificate of Occupancy inspection.

1. The building must be unlocked at the time of inspection. It is not required that someone is present as long as access to the space is available.

2. The address number, including suite numbers, must be posted on the front and back of the building. Address numbers must also be posted on the electric meter and gas meter.

3. All required exit doors must be able to be opened without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort from the egress side.

4. Appropriate exit signs must be in place and code compliant.

5. No open electrical wiring is allowed. All junction boxes, outlets and switches must have covers in place. Breaker panels must be labeled and contain circuit breakers or blanks in each breaker position.

6. Area around equipment and electrical panels must be kept clear for a distance of 36 inches.

7. Parking lots must contain the number of spaces required by the City of DeSoto Zoning Ordinance, including a minimum of one van-accessible parking space, with appropriate signage, and wheelchair curb ramp.

8. All plumbing drain openings without an approved P-trap must be plugged or capped in a permanent condition.

9. Restaurants using fryers require a Type I hood with an automatic fire extinguishing system and must be inspected prior to the release of the Certificate of Occupancy.

10. Sprinkler heads that are a component of a required automatic sprinkler system are not to be painted, obstructed, or used for support of any decorative material. An 18-inch clearance must be maintained between any storage and a sprinkler head.

11. Fire Lanes must be clearly striped: 6-inch red stripe with 4-inch letters stating “No Parking Fire Lane”, as approved by the Fire Marshal’s Office.

Who can attend?
Anyone who lives or works in DeSoto. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and pass a background screening prior to acceptance into the academy.
How much does it cost?
There is absolutely NO CHARGE to attend the Academy!
What happens after the Academy is over?
Graduates are invited to join the DeSoto Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association and continue their education and association with the police department. Those completing the Academy are also eligible to join the Citizens On Patrol (COP) group and become "extra eyes and ears" for the police.
Will I be a police officer after I graduate?
No. The Citizen Police Academy will not certify you to become a police officer, nor will it provide you with a concealed handgun license.
How can I commend a City employee?
The Employee Recognition Program was created to applaud City employees who extend the great service that all our customers deserve. We define great service as above-and-beyond the call of duty – service that can be tied to these important attributes: Pride, Accountability, Initiative, Teamwork, Embracing Change, and Outrageous (Unbelievable!) Customer Service. Commendations can be e-mailed to blewis@desototexas.gov or by phone at 972.230.9643.
How can I file a claim against the City?
Click on Notice of Claim Form below; complete the form, have it notarized, attach supporting documentation as applicable, then email to Claims@desototexas.gov. Mail or deliver the original to:

Action Center
City of DeSoto
211 East Pleasant Run Road
DeSoto, Texas 75115.

Claims may also be faxed to 972.230.5793.

Note: The City Charter mandates that a claim must be filed with the City within 180 days of the date of loss. The City is not permitted to accept claims for losses more than 180 days old.

How can I check on the status of my claim?
Contact the Action Center at 972.274.CITY, or e-mail questions to claims@desototexas.gov.
Who can I talk to about a claim?
Contact the Action Center at 972.274.CITY, or e-mail questions to claims@desototexas.gov.
What if I have a problem with my cable bill?
Contact Time Warner Cable at 972.742.5892(Customer Service Desk).
What if I have a problem with my cable reception?
Contact Time Warner Cable at 972.742.5892 (Customer Service Desk).
What channel broadcasts city council and school board meetings?
Channel 16 for Time Warner Cable subscribers and channel 99 on AT&T Uverse broadcast all city council meetings and planning & zoning meetings live and taped rebroadcasts at 7 p.m. Tapes of school board meetings are broadcast at 7 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays following the Monday meetings.
How Do I Request a City Council Candidate Packet?
You can request a City Council Candidate Packet either via email or in person. By email, please submit your request to athomas@desototexas.gov and list your name, address, phone number. If you would like to pick up a packet, please visit the City Secretary's Office during the hours of 9am and 4pm with the exception of 12noon until 1pm for lunch. If you have any questions, please contact the City Secretary's Office at 972-230-9646.
Can I park my car on the grass on my property?
No, must be parked on improved surface (paved surface).
Can the city make my neighbor mow their lawn?
Yes, City Ordinances require that weeds and grass be kept below 12 inches in height, and that trimmings are not allowed to accumulate in any gutter, street, sidewalk, alley or any other public or private property.
I reported high grass last week. Why hasn't it been mowed yet?
Code Enforcement Officers issue a 10-day notice to the property owner to mow. On re-inspection, if the condition remains the City will have the property mowed. A $150 admin fee is assessed to the contractor invoice and the property owner is charged. If the owner fails to pay the invoice, a lien will be placed against the property in Dallas County.
Who is responsible for maintaining an alley or easement behind their property?

The property owner is responsible for maintaining any adjoining alleyway or utility easement (to the center line).

Do you have to have an address on the house if you already have an address on the curb?

Yes, address numbers must be on the structure and be plainly legible and visible from the street. These numbers must be three inches in height and contrast with their background. If you have a rear entry way the numbers must be placed in the back in a conspicuous place so that they are visible from the alley or rear entrance. Easily legible numbers are essential for rapid response of emergency personnel

Is the city required to give me notice each time my grass is taller than 12 inches?

No. A Notice of Violation is issued one time annually. Thereafter, should the owner not correct the violation, the city can have the property mowed at the owner’s expense. A $150 Administrative fee will be assessed, and an invoice will be issued for payment. If the invoice is not paid within a 60-day time period, a lien will be placed against the property, and filed in Dallas County.

What actions does the city take against violators of litter?

A Notice of Violation is issued one time annually. Thereafter, should the owner not abate the violation, a citation can be issued and the violation can be abated by the City of DeSoto at the owner’s expense.

I just found out I have a lien against my property. How can I get lien payoff information for its release?

Email Carmen Humble at CHumble@desototexas.gov or call 469-658-3077.  Please allow 10-days for processing.

Can the city make my neighbor cut their tree limbs that are overhanging onto my property?

No. That is a civil matter. The City enforces trees that are in violation and overhang city property.

What happens after I pre-apply?
NDC will contact applicants from the randomized selection process on or after September 25th. Selected applicants will be invited to submit a full application. Applicants who are not selected will be placed on a waiting list.
Do I receive the money directly?
No, grant funds will go directly to your landlord/utilities provider and/or daycare provider to pay for your bills.
What are qualifying utilities?
You can get assistance for gas, electric, internet, and one phone line per household.
Will I have to pay the money back?
No, the program is a grant and you will not have to pay back the assistance.
Who do I need to include in my household?
Include all adults and children living at your address for household size. Include income for anyone over the age of 18 living at your address.
What is the deadline to submit a full application?
You will have a deadline provided in your initial email when you are invited to submit your full application.
How do I drop charges against someone?
If a non-arrest case, complainant will need to contact detective assigned to case and depending on degree of offense an affidavit of non-prosecution possibly can be filled out. If the case is an arrest case the complainant will have to contact the District Attorney’s office.
Why did the City consider this now?
This item was introduced by the City Council and placed on the City’s business plan in 2021.
What is the purpose of this Ordinance?
  • Decrease possible discrimination against applicants who may have a criminal history.
  • Encourage applications from more people
  • Encourage employers to assess qualifications before exploring  criminal history backgrounds
What were the steps taken to consider this Ordinance?

There were several steps taken to collect input and distribute information:

02.02.21 – council discussion in work session  
03.03.21 – Chamber of Commerce webinar  
03.11.21 – DeSoto Town Hall meeting  
03.19.21 – City resident and business survey, homeowner survey, COC survey, DeSoto business survey, published on website and social media sites
What exactly does Fair Chance Hiring mean?
This ordinance requires eliminating the criminal history questions on all initial job applications. Eligible DeSoto businesses are prohibited from including a question about criminal history on initial job applications.
What does Fair Chance Hiring not mean?
Eliminating this question does not ignore the criminal history process or eliminate a business' right to investigate any criminal history or ask about any criminal history.  It just means it cannot be done on the initial application. It can still be explored in interviews or in another recruiting scenario. 
Who must comply?
DeSoto businesses with 15 or more employees must comply with the Ordinance.
Will some employers be excepted?
Yes, there are exceptions for certain entities and specific job applications. Non-profit 501(c) organizations, state agencies, and governmental bodies defined by Section 552.003 of the Government Code are not required to comply with the ordinance. A business is also not required to comply with the ordinance on initial job applications for specific positions where a person may be disqualified under a federal, state, or local law or to comply with legally mandated insurance or bond requirements for that position.
Is the City of DeSoto as an employer complying with this ordinance?
Yes. Based on this discussion and action by the DeSoto City Council, the City of DeSoto immediately removed questions about criminal history from the initial job applications for qualifying positions.
What is the penalty for violations?
Complaints may be made by job applicants to a business. The first violation will result in a warning letter to the business providing information about the Ordinance. Subsequent violations may result in a fine up to $500 per violation.
Fire Department
Do I have to provide my name and contact information to submit a report to the Fraud Hotline?
No, the online portal will provide you the option to include a reference code that will allow you to follow the investigation and resolution without disclosing your personal contact information. It will also allow communication with the investigation team through that anonymous portal. It is possible, however, that your identity may become known through the investigation process
What kind of information should I include in my report?
Provide as much detail as possible. This can include name(s), job title(s), dates, and other specific details. Specific and detailed information will assist the investigation process.
What happens to the report after the Hotline receives it?
All complaints received are investigated by the City’s Fraud team. The issue may be referred to an external investigator if appropriate. The findings and resolution of the investigation process will be available through the Fraud Hotline portal and will also be reported quarterly to the City’s Audit & Finance Committee.
As a City employee or Contractor/Service Provider, may I report suspicious activities or fraudulent acts against the City through the Fraud Hotline?
Yes, City employees/contractors/service providers are encouraged, when aware of a situation, to report suspicious activities or fraudulent acts to the Fraud Hotline.
What about retaliation?
The process is designed to protect the identity of the reporting party. Significant protections against retaliation exist should the reporter’s identity be discovered during the investigation process. Federal and state law and City policy protect those who make good faith reports against any form of retaliation.
May I obtain the status of a complaint after it has been report?
Yes, the Fraud Hotline online portal allow the submitter of a report to use a specific code to anonymously check on the investigation status of their complaint.
I just moved to DeSoto, how do I start new water service?
You can begin the process to start water service in person, online, or over the phone. Click below for detailed instructions on starting new water service. Detailed instructions for water service
Where can I pay my traffic ticket?
In person:

DeSoto Municipal Court
211 E. Pleasant Run Road,
DeSoto, TX 75115

On the phone:
1.800.444.1187 Or online here

How do I start a Homeowner's Association?
The process for initiating an HOA does not have to be intimidating, but some organized steps should be used.

STEP 1: Determine the need for the association. To do so, host an informal meeting with your neighbors to see if there is a real interest in or need for the association. While it is optimum for 100% of area residents to attend the initial meeting, it is not imperative that they be present at that time. This first meeting could be among just a few or all of your neighbors.

STEP 2: Check with the Dallas County Clerk’s Office to see if the developer has filed a Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions for your subdivision. You can reach the Dallas County Clerk’s Office at 214.653.7275, or at 509 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Dallas, Texas.

STEP 3: Contact Community Initiatives Manager, Tracie Hlavinka, at 972.230.9689. Tracie can schedule a meeting with your neighbors to clarify the necessary steps and the benefits of organizing an HOA.

STEP 4: Create bylaws and articles of incorporation to bring for consideration by all your members. Bylaws establish the procedures for the operation of the association. They create HOA rules for voting, financing, and control procedures. The articles of incorporation actually create a corporation if the association chooses to become incorporated.

Need a guideline for bylaws? Download this file_____

Need a guideline for articles of incorporation?
Download this file_____

STEP 5: Once the articles of incorporation are complete, send two (2) copies and the $25 filing fee to the Secretary of State, Corporate Section, P.O. Box 13697, Austin, Texas 78711. Their phone number is 512.463.5555.

Can I report suspected fraud, waste or abuse against the City?
Suspected waste, fraud and abuse can be reported anonymously. Please click the link below for more information. Complete Fraud Hotline FAQs
How do I apply for a Police Officer position?
You can only apply for a Police Officer position when we post for Police exams. Please check our website for future test dates. More...
How do I get a library card?
Anyone in one of the following categories may have a library card free of charge (with driver's license and proof of address which includes a rental or lease agreement, voter's registration card, car insurance, and/or utility bill, etc):

1. Residents or owners of real or personal property in the City of DeSoto, Texas.
2. Employees of the City of DeSoto, Texas.
3. TexShare card holders.
4. Desoto school teachers.
5. Residents of Cedar Hill, Texas.

Library cards are available for a fee per household to those not in the above categories. You only need a card to check out materials. Fees are $15.00 for one year.

Can I return library materials when the library is closed?
Yes. Two book drops are available. One walk-up book drop is located in front of the library entrance. The other drive-up book drop is located on the north side (creek side) of the Library. For your convenience, the drops are open 24 hours per day, 365 days a year, even during library service hours and holidays.
Can I access the Internet from the Library?
The Library has several computers with Internet access housed in two rooms for public access. If you have a wireless enabled device you can use our  free Wi-Fi connection. Please call 972.230.9661 for questions. The computers are available on a first come, first served basis. Please note that computer sessions are temporarily limited to 2 hours per person per day.
Are there meeting rooms that can be reserved?
Please call 972.230.9655 at the Civic Center for prices and availability of Civic Center rental rooms. The library does not have any rooms available for reservation.
What does it cost to print or copy?
Letter - black & white $.10 Letter - color $.50
Do you offer fax services for library users?
Fax services are available for local, toll-free, and long distance numbers for $.25 per page. You may send outgoing faxes only. You may not receive incoming faxes.
Do you offer scan services for library users?
Scanning is available for free in the library. Customers can scan documents and send them via email, or save them to a portable USB drive.
I have a question and nobody can answer it.
Are you sure that no one can answer it? We have a crack team of degreed librarians who love a challenge. Also, when we come up against what seems to be a brick wall, we can access librarians from around the world for assistance. Call 972.230.9661 for assistance.
What materials can I find at the library?
You can find out what materials are in the Library by accessing the Library's on-line catalog from the computers in the Library or from any computer with Internet access. If the materials you are looking for are not available at the DeSoto Public Library, see the Reference staff for details about the Inter Library Loan Program.
Where can I pay my traffic ticket?
DeSoto Municipal Court
211 E. Pleasant Run Road,
DeSoto, TX 75115
Or you can pay online. Please be aware that paying online constitutes a plea of guilty. Pay online here
What forms of payments does the Municipal Court accept?
You may pay in the Municipal Court with cash, money order, Visa or MasterCard.
Who do I call to find out information regarding my Traffic Citation?
Please call Municipal Court at 972.230.9674 for information on a traffic citation.
On what days do you hold court?
The Judge has a regularly scheduled walk-in court every day at 10:30.
How can I have a citation dismissed?
Appear in court by appearance date.

Get the violation corrected within ten (10) working days from the date of your citation and provide proof to the effect.

The proof of correction of Expired Registration must show that a 20% penalty was paid to the Department of Motor Vehicles at the time the registration was renewed. If the penalty is not paid, the Court cannot dismiss the citation.

The proof of Expired Inspection must show the vehicle PASSED the inspection.

If the inspection or registration has been expired for more than 60 days you may pay the fine or request a court date.

No Drivers License or No Liability Insurance may be dismissed with proof that you had a valid license or insurance policy at the time of the offense.

How do I start an association?

The process for initiating an HOA does not have to be intimidating, but some organized steps should be used. 

STEP 1: Determine the need for the association. To do so, host an informal meeting with your neighbors to see if there is a real interest in or need for the association. While it is optimum for 100% of area residents to attend the initial meeting, it is not imperative that they be present at that time. This first meeting could be among just a few or all of your neighbors. 

STEP 2: Check with the Dallas County Clerk’s Office to see if the developer has filed a Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions for your subdivision. You can reach the Dallas County Clerk’s Office at 214.653.7275, or at 509 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Dallas, Texas. 

STEP 3: Contact the City Manager’s Office at 972.230.9643 to schedule a meeting with your neighbors to clarify the necessary steps and the benefits of organizing an HOA. 

STEP 4: Create bylaws and articles of incorporation to bring for consideration by all your members. Bylaws establish the procedures for the operation of the association. They create HOA rules for voting, financing, and control procedures. The articles of incorporation actually create a corporation if the association chooses to become incorporated. Need a guideline for bylaws? Need a guideline for articles of incorporation?  

STEP 5: Once the articles of incorporation are complete, send two (2) copies and the $25 filing fee to the Secretary of State, Corporate Section, P.O. Box 13697, Austin, Texas 78711. Their phone number is 512.463.5555.

How do I find out if my subdivision has an association?
How does my association get a tax exempt number?
Steps for Obtaining Tax-Exempt Status
for Your Neighborhood Association

Neighborhood Associations with gross receipts of $5,000 or less per year are not required to file form 1023. These organizations are exempt automatically if they meet the requirements of I.R.S. section 501(c)(3).

File your neighborhood association's Articles of Incorporation with the State.

  • Obtain an Employer Identification Number.
  • File I.R.S. Forms 1023 & 8718 with appropriate fees.
  • Receive Tax-Exempt Status from the I.R.S.? (average turnaround time from the time all necessary documents are filed is 100 days)
  • File for State Sales Tax Exemption.
  • Make I.R.S. suggested corrections.
  • File for State Franchise Tax Exemption.
  • Re-File

Important Facts about Tax-Exempt Status

Your Neighborhood Association may obtain tax-exempt status if:

It is incorporated by the State as a nonprofit corporation and organized solely for charitable purposes.

This includes organizations dedicated to:

  • Correct community deterioration
  • Combat juvenile delinquency
  • Lessen neighborhood tensions

In order to keep your Association tax-exempt status, you must ensure that:

  • All assets are permanently dedicated to an exempt purpose. This means that, even upon assets of the corporation may to exempt purposes or groups. Dissolution of the group and all assets must be used or donated, no part of the net earnings or
  • Be used for the benefit of, or be distributed to, the members or officers.
  • No portion of the corporation’s assets or funds may be used to influence legislation, promote propaganda, or benefit specific political candidates.
How do I request a speaker for my next association meeting?
Please contact Kathy Jones at 972.230.9648 or by email at kathy.jones@desototexas.gov and she will try to make arrangements with the appropriate city staff.
How do I report a code violation?
Residents can contact the Action Center at 972.230.CITY to report code violations or click on the Citizen Assistance button and enter a service request online. Citizen Assistance
When will I be contacted regarding my child's practice?
Your child will be assigned to a team and contacted by a coach once the practice time and day have been selected.
How do I know when is my first practice? Are practices scheduled by the League?
All practice locations and times are scheduled by the League. Your coach will make you aware of your first practice when he/she contacts you to introduce themselves. After that, he/she will provide you with a practice schedule.
What if I have registered and a coach has not contacted me?
If you have not heard from your coach please contact Steve Moore at 972-230-4288 or email youthsports@desototexas.gov
What days are practices held on?
Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday.
What times are practices held?
6:15pm - 7:15pm or 7:15pm - 8:15pm or 8:15pm - 9:15pm
How often do we practice? How long is practice?
Teams generally practice two nights per week for one hour each practice.
Where are practices held?
DeSoto Recreation Center, Cockrell Hill Elementary, Moates Elementary, Ruby Young Elementary, the Meadows, and Woodridge.
How long is the season?
Teams start practicing in late November. Games start the first Saturday in January and end the last Saturday in February concluding with a single elimination tournament. There will be no practices or games over the holiday break.
When is the first game?
Saturday, January 7, 2023
What days and times are the games?
All games are played on Saturdays with the exception of the end-of-season tournament. Some games may be played on a weeknight. Saturday game time may vary from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
Where will games be played?
Games will be played at DeSoto Recreation Center, McCowan Middle School, DeSoto West Middle School, and DeSoto East Middle School. However, some games may be played in Waxahachie, Cedar Hill or Duncanville if the league decides to interlock in order to have enough teams in a division.
If I have more questions, who do I contact?
Please contact the Manager of Athletics and Aquatics at 972-230-4288, or via email youthsports@desototexas.gov
How do I compliment an officer or employee of the DeSoto Police Department?
The DeSoto Police Department encourages the community to compliment our employees when they do great work.  You may file your compliment by phone (469-658-3030), in writing by letter or use of the complaint/compliment form, in person at the front desk or online using the portal below.
What is considered a complaint?
A complaint is an act of wrong doing, misconduct or inappropriate action on behalf of any employee of the DeSoto Police Department.
How do I file a complaint against a police department employee?

a. When a person has a complaint against a police department employee (sworn or civilian), the complaint may be filed in person, by telephone, online submittal, or by completing the citizen compliment / complaint form and sending it to the Internal Affairs Division.  This form is available at the front desk or on the DeSoto Police Department website.

b. Texas law (Gov. Code 614.022-.23) requires that anyone filing a complaint against a sworn police officer must have the complaint signed by the complainant and presented to the officer.  

c. Your complaint can be taken by any employee of the police department.

What types of complaints will not be taken?
Complaints alleging disagreements pertaining to traffic/parking citations (you do not believe that you committed that traffic/parking offense that a citation was issued for), or probable cause for an arrest are examples of complaints that may not be taken. These decisions are for the court to decide and generally are not subject to review by the DeSoto Police Department.
Will the Police Department Employee be told about the complaint?
Yes. As in the case with any potentially punitive process, the accused is afforded the right of knowing what he/she is accused of and who the accusers are. This is done in fairness to the employee, just as it is for any other person
How long will the Investigation take?
Whenever possible, the investigation will be concluded within 30 days unless unusual circumstances warrant an extension. The Department will make every effort to keep the complainant advised of the progress of the investigation. Once the investigation is completed, the complainant will be notified.
What is the Texas Government Code 614.022 and 614.023?


To be considered by the head of a state agency or by the head of a fire department or local law enforcement agency, the complaint must be:

i.    in writing; and

ii.    signed by the person making the complaint


(a) A copy of a signed complaint against a law enforcement officer of this state or a fire fighter, detention officer, county jailer, or peace officer appointed or employed by a political subdivision of this state shall be given to the officer or employee within a reasonable time after the complaint is filed.

(b) Disciplinary action may not be taken against the officer or employee unless a copy of the signed complaint is given to the officer or employee.

Will I be told how the complaint was resolved?
You will be sent a letter of disposition of the complaint from the Chief of Police.  Because of privacy laws, specific facts of the case will not be revealed. It is possible that some allegations may be sustained, and other not sustained based on the investigation.
Who do I call to find out if an Accident Report is available?
Please call 469.658.3021 or check our web site:

Who do I call to find out information regarding traffic tickets?
Please call the DeSoto Municipal Court at 972.230.9673.
Who do I call to find out information regarding an impounded vehicle?
Please call the impound/towing service, J&N Wrecker Service at 972.223.1981
I had a minor accident. We exchanged information, what do I do now?
Contact your insurance company. Submit a Driver’s Crash Report CBR-2 (Blue Form) to the Texas Department of Public Safety. CBR-2 (Blue Form)
Where can I obtain a letter stating I do not have a criminal record within the City of DeSoto?
The Records Division can provide a Clearance letter from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. You will need picture identification, such as a driver’s license. The fee is $2.00.
How can I obtain a copy of my criminal record?
Criminal Records may be obtained from the Texas Department of Public Safety,
P. O. Box 4142, Austin, Texas 78765. The telephone number is 512.424.7252.

You may also obtain criminal records by contacting the Dallas County District Clerk’s Office. For misdemeanor record checks, call 214-653-5740. For felony record checks, call 214-653-5950.

I need to be fingerprinted. Where can I obtain them and is there a cost?
Fingerprints are done Thursday, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. There is a $10.00 cost for non-residents. You must bring your own fingerprint card. The Police Department does not provide cards.
How much does a police report cost?
An accident report costs $6.00 whether you come in person to our location, request it by mail or purchase it on-line. All other reports cost .10 cents a page, if you come in person. If you make your request by mail the cost is .10 cents a page, cost of postage and a self addressed envelope.
Other services include: Certifying Reports is $2.00.

If the request is over 50 pages personnel charges of $15.00 an hour and overhead charges of $3.00 an hour will be charged. Copies cost .10 cents a page.
Purchase Reports Online
I am in a hurry, can you fax the reports to me?
Sorry, no, all requests must be picked up in person.
How do I bond/bail someone out of jail?
All bonds for class C misdemeanor charges (like traffic tickets) can be posted at the jail, all other charges must be posted at the county jail. We accept cash or credit cards only, no money orders. To get someone out of jail, the whole fine must be paid, or in some circumstances, the judge will allow a payment plan to be set up and release the individual. You may also go through a bond agency. If you wish to pay the FULL amount of a fine or bond you can pay by credit card online. You must have the inmate’s first and last name and date of birth, as well as the warrant number, and the four digit code for the city in which the fine or bond is owed. Four-digit Pay Location Codes: DeSoto - 9313 Cedar Hill - 9315 Lancaster - 9319 Pay online here
How do I bring money to someone in jail?
The jail does not accept money for anyone in jail.
How do I send mail to someone in jail?
Individuals at the jail may not receive mail.
How do I locate a bail bondsman?
Employees are prohibited from recommending the services of a particular bondsman.
How do I speak to the Chief of Police?
You may call during business hours to schedule an appointment (469.658.3002); however, most issues can be handled promptly by the on-duty supervisor
How do I compliment an officer?
The DeSoto Police Department encourages the community to compliment our employees when they do great work. You may file your compliment by phone (469-658-3030), in writing by letter or use of the complaint/compliment form, in person at the front desk or online using the portal.
How do I start a Crime Watch in my area?
First, contact your neighbors to “spark” an interest, and then contact one of the Crime Prevention Officers to set up an informational meeting for your area. Call 469.658.3000 for more information.
How do I set up a police station tour for my group?
Contact the Crime Prevention Unit at 469.658.3000.
How do I obtain an alarm permit?
All homes and businesses that have an alarm system installed are required to have a permit from the city, even if the system is not monitored.

Alarm permits can be obtained and paid for at DeSoto City Hall located at 211 E. Pleasant Run. The annual fee for a residential alarm is $35. Commercial alarms are $65. More Information
How can I contact the Procurement department?
Please direct inquiries to procurement@desototexas.gov.
How can I get on a vendors/bidders list?
In order to be added to the Vendors list, go to www.publicpurchase.com to register under City of Desoto and select NIGP codes relevant to your business. You will be automatically added to our vendors’ list and you will be notified when a request is issued for your selected services/goods. publicpurchase.com
How can I find out about bid opportunities?
Sealed bids or request for proposals (those $50,000 or more) are advertised in major local newspapers under the legal notices section. Current bid/proposal solicitations are posted on www.publicpurchase.com. Be sure to read the bid and proposal packets thoroughly for deadlines and delivery timeframe information.

For bids less than $50,000.00, City of Desoto staff obtains written or telephone quotes by contacting at least three vendors. In accordance with Texas Government Code 791.001, City has the option of purchasing products that are on State of Texas or cooperative purchasing contracts. publicpurchase.com

What are the bidding thresholds?
Purchase prices up to $1,000.00: Quotes are not required, but good faith effort is required in obtaining best possible price.

Purchase prices of between $1,001.00 - $3,000.00: At least three (3) competitive written bids required; use of purchase order is optional.

Purchase prices of between $3,001 - $49,999.00: At least three (3) competitive written bids required; use of purchase order is required.

Purchase prices over $50,000: Sealed bidding or request for proposal process requiring Council approval and advertising in newspapers. This provision does not apply to professional services and other services exempted by law from competitive solicitation.

Some exceptions may apply to the above bidding thresholds.

What is a sealed bid or proposal?
Sealed bids or proposals are for purchases expected to be $50,000 or more. Sealed bid documents must include a specific date and time of the bid closing and a location as to where vendor is to submit the bid. Late bids are not accepted. Sealed bids are opened publicly at a specified date, time and place as indicated in the bid document. Award of competitive sealed bids or proposals are made by the City Council during one of their regularly scheduled meetings.
Where do I turn in a sealed bid/proposal?
Vendors should pay close attention to proposal submittal instructions in bid/RFP documents. The person or department to receive the bid/proposal must be included in the address line to ensure proper delivery either by mail or by physical delivery. It is the responsibility of vendor that bids/proposals are delivered to the right place by the specified due time.

Sealed bids or proposals are identified by marking the outside envelope “Sealed Bid” or “Proposal”. It is up to the vendor to ensure that bids/proposals are turned in on time. City of Desoto assumes no responsibility for delays caused by a courier, U.S. Post Office or any other form of delivery. No allowances are made for late bids.

Can I attend a bid opening?
Yes, bid openings are conducted for sealed bids and proposals only and are open to the public. It is the official reading of the bid or proposal and generally consists of who responded to the request. Announcement of the date, time and location of the bid opening is included in the bid documents. Questions concerning any aspect of the bids or proposals are not addressed in the bid opening.
How can I obtain results of a bid award?
Once bids are reviewed and evaluated, they are awarded as soon as is practical. Bid results can only be obtained after an award has been made by calling the project manager or lead department making the original bid solicitation. Contact information for the project manager or department is contained in the original bid documents.
When will the Rental Registration and Inspection Program begin?
The program is developed to register rental properties in order to adhere to established guidelines for minimum standards and property maintenance in the community. The program was adopted February 23, 2021 by City Council under Ordinance Sec. 3.2304 and will launch in September 2021.
Why did the City adopt a rental program?
To address the needs of an aging housing inventory in DeSoto as well as address complaints which are regularly received by the City regarding housing structure and code violations.
Does the program apply to all rental properties?
Yes. The program applies to all single-family, two-family/duplex, multi-family, townhomes, and manufactured homes which are rental properties.
Do I have to have my rental property inspected annually?
Yes. Each unit must be inspected annually.
Do I have to register my rental property annually?
No. If there have been no changes in tenant or ownership you do not have to register each year.  
What happens if I fail to register my property?
Each violation of Ordinance Sec. 3.2304 is punishable by fines up to $500 per day for each day the violation occurs. Each day can be determined as a separate offense.  
Do I have to schedule my inspection or is it unannounced?
You will need to schedule the inspection. Only exterior inspections will occur without advance notice.
Who is responsible for paying the registration fee?
The city will require the property owner to pay the fee(s).
Will the inspector inspect the interior of my rental property?
Yes. A checklist can be found on the registration web page under “Informational Forms”.
I've retained a property management company, will the city contact me directly or will they contact my property management company?
The Rental Registration Form requires a primary contact name and phone number. It is up to the property owner to identify the proper point of contact regarding the property.
I've owned a rental property in DeSoto for years – am I Grandfathered and exempt from the new ordinance?
No. All rental properties are subject to these regulations.
Does someone have to be present during the inspection?
Yes. City inspector(s) will require the tenant, property owner or other representative to be present throughout the inspection.
What if I have code enforcement violations? Do they have to comply also?
Yes. Code violations are a part of the inspections. See “checklist” for most common violations.
How do I get speed bumps in my alleyway?
To request speed bumps installed in an alley, you must present a petition to the City with the location of the alley, name, address, phone number and the signatures of 90% of the residents adjacent to the alley. Contact the Action Center with any questions at 972.274.CITY
Can I have additional streetlights installed in my neighborhood?
City of DeSoto policy states that streetlights can be no closer than 250 to 500 feet apart. If a light is requested, the department supervisor will study the location and provide a response on whether an additional light is needed. If a light is needed, street department personnel will work directly with homeowners and Oncor to receive appropriate permission and paperwork to install the street light.
How do I get my sidewalk repaired?
The City of DeSoto offers a 75/25 plan: the homeowner pays 25% and the city pays 75% to have the sidewalk repaired. All sidewalks are subject to inspections to see if the repairs meet guidelines. To schedule an estimate call 972–274-CITY.
Who fixes signal lights?
The City of DeSoto maintains all signal lights except for those located along Beckley Rd and I-35, and all signal lights along Beltline Road. The Texas Department of Transportation should be notified for repairs to these lights at 972-263-1387.
How can I get a pothole fixed on my street or alley?
Request for pothole repairs should be directed to 972-274-CITY.
Who fixes streetlights and how do I get one repaired?
TXU maintains all broken and burned out streetlights. To report streetlight outages directly to Oncor, call 1-888- 313-4747, or call the Action Center at 972-274-CITY.
Who sweeps the streets?
The city has a street sweeper that is constantly sweeping the streets. Arterials (Hampton Rd., Pleasant Run Rd., Wintergreen Rd., and Polk St.) will be swept every Monday and all others will be swept once a month.
Does the City of DeSoto deliver sandbags?
The city does deliver sandbags; sandbags are delivered on a first call basis. Upon notification of flooding street crews will deliver 10 sand bags to residents curb. Sandbags will not be dropped off if no problem is found. Sandbags will be dropped off curbside and to DeSoto residents only.

Street Department crews will monitor rain when forecast calls for bad weather. Weather will be monitored until the threat of flooding is no longer. We do NOT do preventive sandbagging.

Sand bags are available at Wiseman's, Home Depot and Lowes.

Will the City of DeSoto sand streets during icy weather?
During icy weather, the City of DeSoto sands bridges and major intersections along with some steep hills in the city. We do not sand residential streets.

More Information

Will the City of DeSoto come and clean up the creek behind my house?
The City of DeSoto maintains the drainage in creeks; it is up to the homeowner to do beautification in the creeks.
Does DeSoto have Red Light cameras?
No. The video detection cameras on the signals at major intersections are only for the smooth operation of the traffic signals themselves. They take the place of cutting the roadway to place vehicle detection sensors under the concrete. Each camera has a processor that is programmed to cover one direction of travel for approaching vehicles. When a vehicle approaches the intersection the camera processor notes the change in the image and sends a signal to the traffic controller letting it know that it has a vehicle waiting
for a green light. The cameras are not able to take pictures and are not monitored. They are not red light cameras.
When are my property taxes due?
Taxes are due and payable on October 1, and are delinquent if not paid on or before January 31. State law requires that penalty and interest be charged on taxes paid after January 31. If you have any questions, e-mail propertytax@dallascounty.org, or call their Customer Care Center at 214-653-7811.
How do I protest my appraised value?
The Dallas Central Appraisal District appraises your property at 100% fair market value. Each piece of property must be re-appraised once every three years, but can be appraised every year. In May, the DCAD mails appraisal notices on each property re-appraised that year. With that notice, they provide you a protest form that you can return. In addition, you may visit the DCAD and visit with an appraiser in an informal setting. If your concerns are not met in the informal setting, you may file an official protest to see the Appraisal Review Board. To learn more about this process, contact the DCAD at 214-631-0910 or www.dallascad.org.
What does it cost to file my homestead exemption?
There is no cost to file any of your exemptions. If you receive a notice in the mail asking to pay for a company to file your exemption on your behalf, please contact the Dallas Central Appraisal District. There is no reason you should ever have to pay to file for an exemption.
I just moved to DeSoto, how do I start new service?
You can begin the process to start water service in person, online, or over the phone. Click below for detailed instructions on starting new water service. Detailed instructions for water service
How do I disconnect water service?
Contact or visit DeSoto Water Utilities Monday - Friday. Provide a disconnect date, forwarding address, and contact phone number. You will be given a confirmation number for the disconnect.
How do I transfer my water service from one DeSoto address to another DeSoto address?
Contact or visit DeSoto Water Utilities Monday - Friday. Provide the existing address (account must be in your name), disconnect date, and contact phone number. You will also need to provide your new DeSoto address and connection date. Service can remain on at both locations for a maximum of 10 calendar days.
The water is already on at my new address. How do I transfer service to my name?
DeSoto Water Utilities recommends that you contact the office when you move in to your new property. This way you may be able to avoid the inconvenience of having your water service interrupted.
What is my trash day?
Trash is picked up twice weekly. All residents who live west of Hampton Road have their garbage collected on Tuesdays and Fridays. All residents east of Hampton have their garbage collected on Mondays and Thursdays. Recycle bins are emptied once weekly for the whole city on Wednesdays.
What are the options for paying my bill?
You can pay your bill in person at our office, drop it in the collection box outside city hall, by mail, over the phone or over the Internet. The first time you pay over the phone or Internet you will need your account number and the PIN printed on your bill. More Information
What holidays is trash not picked up?
There are only five holidays a year when trash is not picked up. They are: New Year's Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. All other holidays trash is collected as normal. Does a missed holiday affect the rest of the week?
What is my PIN?
Your PIN is an eight-digit number located on your printed or e-mailed bill. It is directly beneath the account number in the upper right hand corner. You will need this number as well as your 13 digit account number to sign up for online bill pay.
How do I contact your office?
Our phone number is 972.230.9627, and our office is located inside Town Center, at 211 E. Pleasant Run Road, DeSoto, TX 75115.
Why does my water taste or smell funny?
Many customer complaints involve taste and odor issues, but these issues are some of the most difficult for a water system to address. All water has its own unique taste and odor characteristics. Like many other water suppliers, we occasionally experience taste and odor changes.

In the summer and early fall, algae in area lakes occasionally gives water an earthy taste and odor. A rotten egg smell typically occurs from a lack of oxygen in the natural or man-made reservoir storing water before it is treated. It is caused by bacterial decomposition of algae and organisms, which, when no oxygen is present, produces hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen sulfide emits a rotten egg smell.

When the naturally formed scale on the interior of the piping system is disturbed, and when turbulence with the water happens, some water discoloration may occur for several hours. The white discoloration of water usually means air is entrapped in the water. Running your faucets can usually eliminate white discoloration. If discoloration continues for an extended period of time, please notify the City of DeSoto Water/Wastewater Department. Please refer to our Taste & Odors page. Taste & Odors

I am having a sewer backup, what can I do?
The back up of sewage through the drains in your home or business is an unpleasant prospect. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to protect your property.

If you experience a sewer backup, you will need to know if you have a cleanout in your yard. A cleanout is a 4” pipe that protrudes from the ground near your home. A cleanout is an entrance to your sewer line that City staff can use to flush any blockages from your sewer line into the sewer main. If you do not have a cleanout in your yard, you will need to contact a plumber for assistance. Please refer to our Sewer Backup page. Sewer Backups
I think I saw water coming up in the middle of the street, who do I call?
The City's 200 plus miles of water main are buried beneath the ground surface. As a result of age, condition, environmental factors, or other problems, pipes occasionally break. We are more prone to water main breaks in the winter and spring. The extreme weather changes can cause ground shifts placing an unusual amount of stress on the water main lines.
Water main breaks are a serious problem and require immediate attention by our maintenance crews. If you notice water bubbling up through the ground, a wet area appearing during dry weather, or a loss of water pressure within a service area, please notify the City of DeSoto Water/Wastewater Department. Please refer to our Water Main Breaks page. Water Main Breaks
I need a water tap or a sewer tap, what do I do?
Applicable Permits must be acquired from the Building Inspection Department 972.230.9610, and Construction Inspection Department 972.230.9617, prior to the Water/Wastewater notification and/or performance of tap services. Utility locations are to be requested by the contractor by calling DIGTESS 1.800.344.8377 for gas, electric, telephone, and cable. For water/wastewater, call 972.230.5724. The Water/Wastewater Department should be notified seventy-two (72) hours in advance of the desired time of the tap at 972.230.5724 with lot number, block number, and physical address. Please refer to our Water & Sewer Tap Requirements page. Water & Sewer Tap
My water pressure is low, who do I call?
There are several reasons that could cause a homeowner or business owner to experience low water pressure at their dwelling. Here are a few examples:

  • Work is being performed on the water main in the area and city crews have it shut off.
  • There is a water main break in the area and the resulting pressure loss is because of it.
  • The shut off valve at the meter is not completely open. If you have had your water shut off recently, your valve may not have been completely turned back on. Please contact our Meter Services department for assistance at 972.230.9627 and press “7”.
  • The service line to the meter is partially crimped.
  • The meter filter may be partially clogged.
Please refer to our Water Main Breaks page. Water Main Breaks
What are your hours of operation?
We are open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. After hours calls may be made to 972.780.6641 for emergencies only. Please hold all non-emergency calls until the next business day.
What do I do if I experience a sewer emergency after your normal business hours?
Call 972.780.6641. More...
Why is the fire hydrant in my neighborhood gushing water?
The process of periodically "flushing" fire hydrants is an important preventive maintenance activity in the City of DeSoto. Although it may appear to waste water, this process is part of a routine maintenance program necessary to maintain the integrity of the water system and to continue to deliver the highest quality water possible to our customers. The flushing process may take anywhere from 20 minutes to more than 8 hours. Flushing the water system on a routine basis removes sediment from lines and keeps the entire distribution system refreshed.
As a result of the flushing procedure, residents in the immediate vicinity of the work area may experience temporary discoloration of their water. This discoloration consists primarily of harmless silt and precipitates and does not affect the safety of the water.

If you experience discoloration in your water after crews have been flushing in your neighborhood, clear the pipes in your own home by running all water faucets for a minute or two. Please refer to our Fire Hydrant Flushing page for more information. Fire Hydrant Flushing
What is zoning?
The city is separated into separated zoning districts according to land use (for example, a single family residence is located within one of the single family residential zoning districts; and a retail use, such as a grocery store, will be located in general retail zoning). Each zoning district has a list of permitted uses and zoning regulations for development which includes: lot coverage, building setbacks, parking requirements, height requirements, roof pitch, building materials, signage and landscaping, etc.
If you are having problems finding the correct zoning for a particular parcel of land, please contact (972)-230-9622 for more information. It is helpful if you have the address and/or legal description of the property.
Where do I obtain maps of the city?
Official maps for the City of DeSoto are on display in the Development Services Department. Upon request, Planning & Zoning staff can provide 11X17 copies of either the zoning map or city street map. You may also find the interactive map of the city website using the link below. Zoning Information and Maps
How do I change the zoning of property?
There are a number of steps associated with changing the zoning of property. These steps include:

  • Submit a change of zoning application to the Planning & Zoning Division. The application must include a description of the property to be rezoned (site plan, legal description, metes & bounds), applicable fee, and zoning request (current zoning and change being requested).
  • Staff will then review the request, and subsequently publish the appropriate public hearing notices for both the Planning & Zoning (P&Z) Commission and City Council (public hearings are required for zoning change requests). Letters will also be sent out to every property owner within 200 feet of the property in question notifying property owners of the request.
  • P&Z Commission meets are held the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month and City Council meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month (unless otherwise posted).
  • The zoning change request is then considered by the P&Z Commission and a recommendation is made to the City Council to grant, deny or grant the request with modifications. If the P&Z Commission feels they do not have enough information to consider the request, they have the option to postpone or table the item to allow for additional information to be furnished.
  • Finally, the City Council will consider the zoning change request to grant, deny or grant the request with modifications. Zoning Change Application
Where can I find information about permitted uses in each zoning district?
The use of land and/or building use can found in the Use Regulation Chart which is found in Section 36 of the Zoning Ordinance. Zoning Ordinance
What are the chances of getting a zoning changed?
Although we cannot tell you specifically whether or not requested zoning changes will be granted, Planning & Zoning staff can tell you about current trends in zoning throughout the city. Staff can also tell you what the city's Comprehensive Plan calls for in any area within the city limits. This information can be helpful in determining whether or not a zoning change is likely to be supported on any given property.
What are the steps in the platting process?
The platting process involves the creation of legal subdivision plats. Subdivision Platting consists of the division of the property into legal lots that conform to the city’s specifications as provided in the Subdivision Ordinance.
There are a number of steps in platting property. These steps include:

If utilities are required, then detailed construction plans must be submitted to the Engineering Division for approval before the preliminary plat application can be submitted to the Planning & Zoning (P&Z) Division. Once construction plans have been approved, the developer must submit preliminary plat application to the P&Z Division. The application must include the preliminary plat copies, applicable fee and tax certificates from Dallas County.

Next, the Development Review Committee (DRC) reviews the preliminary plat for site-specific issues such as utility and fire access, drainage, lot configuration and conformance to zoning regulations. When the concerns of DRC have been addressed, staff will notify the applicant to provide copies of plats for the P&Z Commission packets.

Planning and Zoning meets the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month and City Council meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month (unless otherwise posted).
The preliminary plat is then considered by the P&Z Commission for a recommendation to City Council to approve, deny or approve the preliminary plat with modifications.

Once the P&Z Commission has made a recommendation, the City Council then takes action to approve, deny or approve the preliminary plat with modifications. If the preliminary plat is approved by City Council the developer can begin construction of the infrastructure. When the infrastructure is complete and approved by the Engineering Division, the developer can submit the final plat application to the P&Z Division. The application submittal must include the final plat copies, applicable fee, and tax certificates from Dallas County.

Then DRC will review the final plat. When the concerns of DRC have been addressed, staff will notify the applicant to provide copies of plats for the P&Z Commission packets. The final plat is considered by the P&Z Commission through a regular hearing to approve, deny or approve the final plat with modifications.

If the final plat is approved by the Planning & Zoning Commission, the developer can provide the P&Z Division with plat copies and fees for recording the plat with Dallas County. Once the final plat has been recorded with Dallas County, the developer can apply for a building permit with the Building Inspections Division.
How do you obtain copies of different plats or subdivisions?
Plat copies can be made by either visiting the Development Services Division or clicking this link. Zoning Information and Maps
How do you obtain a specific address and/or location within the City of DeSoto?
The Planning & Zoning Division has individual address maps of each subdivision throughout city. These address maps can be obtained by visiting the Planning & Zoning Division or calling (972) 230-9622. Zoning Information and Maps