Place Six: Crystal Chism
Crystal Chism: Serving DeSoto with Passion and Dedication
Crystal Chism proudly serves as the DeSoto City Councilmember for Place 6, having secured a resounding 62.86% of the vote in the May 1, 2021 election. Her journey in public service is a testament to her dedication to her constituents and her community.
Originally born and raised in Dallas, Texas, Crystal is a proud graduate of Dallas Independent School District Skyline High School, Class of 2001. After graduating from high school, Crystal spent the next 10 years serving in the military in both active and reservist duty. Crystal earned her Associate of Arts degree from Mountain View Community College and later received her Bachelor of Business Administration in Management from the University of Texas in Arlington.
Currently, Crystal is employed at the Army and Airforce Exchange Service, a Department of Defense military retailer that serves military personnel around the world. She is an essential part of the executive management team, responsible for enhancing the online store consumer experience.
Crystal is married to the love of her life, Quentin Chism, who is also an Army veteran. They have no children however a host of nephews and nieces that love to spend all their money
- Community Initiatives: Before joining the city council Crystal's dedication extended to her involvement in various community engagement initiatives, including roles as Vice Chair for the DeSoto Domestic Violence Advisory Commission, and as a commissioner for the Citizens Police Advisory Committee. She has also been a key figure in initiatives such as City of DeSoto and DeSoto ISD Neighborhood You, where she served as Co-Team Lead for Cockrell Hill Elementary, Female Leadership Symposium, and the Hall of Honors selection committee.
- Military Service: Beyond her public service, Crystal Chism is a combat war veteran with over 10 years of military experience, which includes both active and reserve duty from 2001 to 2010. Her military service is marked by outstanding achievements, including:
- Army Commendation Medal (2nd award):
- Army Achievement Medal
- Army Good Conduct Medal
- Armed Reserve Components Achievement Medal
- National Defense Service Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Iraq Campaign Medal w/ Campaign Star
- Army Armed Forces Reserve Medal w/ M device
- Overseas Service Ribbon (2nd award)
- Leadership and Advocacy Roles:
- Served as South Dallas Professional and Business Women’s Club chair over social media.
- Serves on Leadership Southwest Board of Directors and Chairs LSW 2023 Graduation Committee.
- Elected to serve on the Texas Association of Black City Councilmembers Board as Treasurer for 2023-2025.
- Member of Disciple Central Community Church, actively participating in the Community Service Initiatives (CSI) team.
- Member of Texas Local Progress, highlighting her dedication to local governance and progress.
- Appointed to serve on the National League of Cities (NLC) 2023 Racial Equity and Leadership (REAL) Council.
- Recognized with the 2022 "Rising Star Award" by the Dallas County Democratic Party.
- Recipient of the 2023 Community Service Award from TLOD, Inc. Trinity West Chapter.
- Committee and Liaison Roles: During her tenure on the City Council, she has actively served on various committees, reflecting her dedication to enhancing the city of DeSoto:
- Fraud and Audit Adohc Committee
- Elections Committee
- Sanitation Services Review Committee
- Shotspotter Review Committee
- Code Enforcement, Litter, Animal Control Public Safety Coalition Committee
- City Council Liaison: Crystal has been a trusted liaison between the City Council and various community groups, commissions, and committees, including:
- DeSoto Domestic Violence Commission (2021-2023)
- DeSoto Citizens Police Advisory Committee (Current)
- DeSoto Veterans Affairs Committee (Current)
- North Texas Council of Governments (Current)
- DeSoto Dining and Dialogue (Current)
- DeSoto Rotary