DeSoto Teen Council
The DeSoto Teen Council is comprised of DeSoto residents. The council provides a formal process that fosters a heightened awareness of municipal operations, educational opportunities, health and mental wellness experiences, life skills, and career readiness.
Youth Master Plan
The Youth Master Plan (YMP) is designed to sustain youth's ability to grow and prosper into adulthood. Currently, the City of DeSoto provides extensive programming through the Parks & Recreation Department and the Public Library, addressing a myriad of interests and life skills necessary to support adolescents as they age. Click here to view the Youth Master Plan.
Benefits of Joining DeSoto Teen Council
- Letter of recommendation from City Administration, to include with college application
- Scholastic community service hours (subject to approval by the school liaison)
- A solid understanding of City Government and the services provided
- Introduction to impeccable skills involving better business etiquette
- Set the standard for TEEN INVOLVEMENT IN THE COMMUNITY!
- STEM Programming and Employment Opportunities
How do I join?
To become an active member, please fill out the application form. Only $30 to join (includes a $10 yearly membership to the recreation center).
Texas Municipal League Youth Advisory Commission Summit
The formation of youth advisory commissions (YAC) in cities across the state is a priority of the TML Board of Directors. In 2003, then-TML President Jackie Levingston championed the issue, and today dozens of Texas cities have programs that involve youth. This initiative provides cities with energetic volunteers for civic projects, gives city leaders a fresh perspective on issues challenging our cities, and creates a sense of accomplishment for youth.
Additional benefits and skills learned by joining: