Republic Services Website Coronavirus PSA Link: https://www.republicservices.com/coronavirus
The City of DeSoto does not issue receptacles for regular household trash. You may purchase your own trash cart from a local hardware or janitorial supply store to hold secured trash bags at your property. You may also purchase strong 2-ply trash bags at the Water Utility window at a cost of $13.04 for a roll of 50 bags.
Trash Pick-Up Schedule
Trash is picked up twice weekly.
- All residents who live west of Hampton Road have their garbage collected on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- All residents east of Hampton are collected on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Recycle bins are emptied once each week on Wednesdays.
- Trash should be out by 7 AM to ensure collection. It is recommended placing it out after 6 PM, the night before the trash day to avoid service interruption. (Not days before).
- Do not put trash out days in advance.
- Trash will be collected by 6 PM on the scheduled trash day.
- Only items that are properly bagged will be picked up.
- Garbage must be placed in a plastic refuse bag. Bag must not weigh more than 50 lbs.
- Your front, back, side yards, alleyway, and easement should be free of all litter, trash, and refuse.
- Receptacles must be placed in the proper location either on the front right-of-way or in the alley for weekly solid waste pickup.
LARGE/BULKY ITEM PICKUP
- Any items heavier than 50 lbs should be place in the front the property. Allow up to 10 business days begining the week of placement to complete the pickup of bulky/brush items.
- Items less than 50 lbs can be placed in the alley for pickup on your second trash day of the week (either Thursday or Friday). Allow up to 10 business days begining the week of placement for the completion of services. Do not put items out days in advance.
UNACCEPTABLE ITEMS include vehicle parts, tires, batteries, carpet, flammables, hazardous waste, electronic waste, and older modeled mirrored televisions (tube). We also cannot pick up any type of construction material to include lumber, drywall, paneling, tile, flooring, siding, concrete, sheet rock, bricks, or glass. Carpet and area rugs larger than 8’ x 10’ are considered construction debris and will not be collected.
- Refrigerators must have the refrigerant tank removed by an authorized appliance repair person and “red tagged” before it can be picked up by residential trash pickup.
- All fencing material, but not the concrete base or metal posts, can be placed on the curb in front of your residence for pick-up.
Items larger than 7 feet and/or heavier than 75 pounds are not accepted.
- Older model televisions with the hump on the back must go to the McCommas Bluff Landfill or arrangements made through Waste Management. The address for the landfill is below and the charge for non-City of Dallas residents is about $30.00 for every 2,000 tons.
McCommas Bluff Landfill
5100 Youngblood Rd
Dallas, TX 75241
Hours Monday-Friday 5am-8pm; Saturday 6am-4pm
972-842-5710 or (800) 452-5982
Brush and Limbs
- Brush refers to trunks, branches, limbs, and leaves from trees or shrubs.
- Place limbs/brush out front and allow up to 10 business days to complete the pickup.
- Recycling occurs every Wednesday throughout the City.
- Recycling should be out by 7 AM to ensure collection. It is recommended placing it out after 6 PM the night before Wednesday to avoid service interruption.
- You may use clear or blue plastic bags only - no grocery bags are allowed.
- You must break down cardboard boxes and neatly stack them under or near other recyclable items.
- Click here for detailed information regarding recycling.
Household Hazardous Waste
There is no trash pick-up on the following holidays should they fall on a weekday:
- New Year’s Day
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Click here for more information on Holiday exceptions
For information on disposing of hazardous waste or any other questions regarding solid waste collection, call 972-274-CITY.