Minimum Qualifications for Firefighter
- Must be between 19-35 years of age at time of appointment as a Firefighter.
- Must be a United States Citizen.
- Must be a High School graduate or equivalent.
- Valid driver's license with acceptable driving record.
- Must meet all physical requirements.
- Must not have used illegal drugs within the past 3 years.
No current certification is required, however, those who possess a current firefighter / emt and/or paramedic certification may be given preference in the overall ranking.
Eligibility List for 01.22.2022 civil service exam
A hiring eligibility list is prepared from candidates who meet the minimum qualifications, pass a written test and a physical ability test.
- The applicants must pass the written exam with a minimum score of 70 percent.
- The eligibility list shall be established and will remain in effect for one year or until such time the list has been exhausted.
- Candidates who pass the written exam will be subject to successful completion of the following:
- Driver analysis
- Background investigation
- Physical agility test
- Psychological evaluation
- Polygraph test
- Oral review board
- Medical exam, including drug testing
- Any other relevant investigations deemed necessary
- Those applicants who pass the written exam will need to be prepared to take the physical agility test (PAT) immediately following the written examination.
- Individuals with disabilities who will need reasonable accommodation in order to complete a test must contact the Civil Service Director at 972.230.9639 prior to the scheduled test date. Documentation supporting the need for accommodation will be required.