Construct a high-quality natatorium and recreation center consistent with the Meadow Creek Master Plan
1. Update the feasibility study for the construction and operation of a natatorium and recreation center at Meadow Creek Park | Parks Department | Start FY 2021 Q1 | Complete FY 2021 Q2
2. Organize a steering committee to obtain community input | Parks Department | Start FY 2021 Q1 | Complete FY 2021 Q2
3. Hire an architectural firm to design a natatorium and recreation center | Development Services | Start FY 2021 Q2 | Complete FY 2021 Q3
4. Develop construction drawings for the natatorium and recreation center | Development Services | FY 2021 Q4 | Complete FY 2022 Q4
5. Provide a report to the City Council and the public with updated capital and operating financial projections for a natatorium and recreation center | Finance | Start FY 2021 Q4 | Complete FY 2022 Q1
6. Select Construction Manager at Risk (CMAR) |Development Services | Start FY 2022 Q2 | Complete FY 2022 Q3
7. Begin construction | Development Services | Start FY 2024 Q1 | Complete FY 2025 Q3
2nd Quarter Update
The Meadow Creek Park Natatorium and Recreation Center Steering Committee held several meetings in Q2. With input from staff and the steering committee, the City's consultant has developed an updated project timeline. In Q2, 2,000 surveys were mailed to DeSoto residents to obtain input on the proposed project. The results of the survey will be presented to City Council in Q3.
1st Quarter Update
Brinkley Sargent is currently updating the feasibility study for constructing a natatorium and recreation center at Meadow Creek Park consistent with the Meadow Creek Master Plan. The updated feasibility study is anticipated to be completed by the end of Quarter Two. A steering committee consisting of a City Council representative, Park Board member, DeSoto ISD Athletic Director, DeSoto ISD student, and tournament professional has been created to advise the consultant during the feasibility update. As a part of the feasibility update, Brinkley Sargent will develop a conceptual design of the project. Once the feasibility update and conceptual design are complete, the next step will be to solicit a Request for Qualifications to identify an architectural firm in Quarter Three to begin developing construction drawings and updated capital and operating costs associated with the proposed natatorium and recreation center. Additionally, in Quarter Three staff will identify a Construction Manager at Risk to oversee the design process as well as the eventual construction. Construction is anticipated to begin in FY 2022.