Veterans Affairs Committee
The City Council has determined that the City of DeSoto can play an important part in the ongoing efforts to recognize and celebrate veterans within the City. It has determined that through appointing a Veterans Affairs Committee, the Committee can assist the Council and other community partners in working towards the goal of educating and celebrating all veterans within our community.
* Committee shall consist of seven (7) Committee members, all of whom shall be appointed by the City Council for a term of two (2) years not serving more than three (3) consecutive terms.
* Committee shall be solely advisory in nature.
* Serve as a source of information related to the status, resources and services available within the DeSoto community to the City's large veteran population.
* Identify and review the entire range of services currently available to veterans and recommend ways to strengthen such services, to include the promotion of collaboration among Service Providers.
* Evaluate and recommend programs, policies and practices designed to alleviate veterans' difficulties in meeting basic needs related to transportation, housing, employment and other areas affecting veterans in the city.
* Stimulate awareness among the public and private sector of veterans' full potential and of the importance of veterans' contributions to the sustainability and development of our community.
*Coordinate and plan the annual City of DeSoto VetFest.
* Report status of activities to City Council on a semi-annual basis.
* Shall be determined at the inaugural meeting.
The staff representatives are Kathy Jones, Community Relations Manager and Kisha Morris, City Secretary, who can be reached at 972-230-9648 or email@example.com and 972-230-9646 or firstname.lastname@example.org, respectively.