Friends of the Library
- The purpose of this policy is to provide general guidance for the cooperative interaction between the DeSoto Public Library and the Friends of the DeSoto Public Library.
- The Friends of the DeSoto Public Library is distinct and separate from the Library, and neither the Friends as an organization nor any member or participant thereof mayassume any liability or take or authorize any act on behalf of the DeSoto PublicLibrary. The Friends of the DeSoto Public Library provide assistance to the Library staff as needed and may undertake ongoing fundraising projects.
- Because the Friends of the DeSoto Public Library is an organization comprised solely of volunteers distinct and separate from Library personnel, Library personnel shall not take direction, instruction, or supervision from the Friends, nor perform any duty or take any act on behalf of the Friends, except Library staff may act in an advisory capacity for Friends activities.
- Operating expenses of the DeSoto Public Library are provided through the allocation of tax monies. Friend’s funds and Library funds shall not be commingled or integrated, except that monetary gifts from the Friends may be accepted by the Library Director whereupon said gifts shall become solely the funds of the Library but shall be expended for the specific purpose for which the gift or donation has been made. In the event the DeSoto Public Library becomes the custodian of any Friends funds, those funds shall be kept as separate “funds” for audit and bookkeeping purposes.
- Complete advance information regarding all of the Friends of the DeSoto Public Library activities on behalf of the DeSoto Public Library shall be provided to the Library Director. Programs adopted by the Friends shall not be part of the budget of or funded by the DeSoto Public Library.