2.0 Policy Statement:
- The purpose of this policy is to provide a policy/guideline related to Voter Registration at the DeSoto Public Library.
2.0 Policy Statement:
- The Managing Director of Library Services appoints Angela Alford to be the Voter Registration Coordinator. The Coordinator will be responsible for training (or selecting a designate) all staff involved in the voter registration process and requirements of Chapter 20 of the Election Code. The Coordinator will be the records manager in relation to the Library’s voter registration program.
- The Coordinator will use training materials provided by the City Attorney’s Office and those that may be provided by the Secretary of State’s Office, as well as other materials deemed appropriate, for training staff in voter registration procedures.
- New staff will be trained on voter registration procedures within two (2) weeks of hire. Refresher training opportunities will be held as necessary.
- All patrons who are US citizens, at least 17 years and 10 months of age, are obtaining new or renewed library cards, and changing their address will be provided the Public Library Opportunity to Register to Vote” form and given the opportunity to register to vote as provided by Chapter 20 of the Election Code.
- Containers will be designated in the Circulation Workroom area for completed “Public Library Opportunity to Register to Vote” forms and completed Voter Registration forms for submission to the voter registrar (unless customers choose to mail in their completed Voter Registration forms themselves)
- Completed “Public Library Opportunity to Register to Vote” forms will be retained in a designated area in the library’s Administrative area for a calendar year, after which the forms will be shredded for security purposes.
- Completed Voter Registration forms will be given to appointed staff to arrange for mailing by registered or overnight mail, whichever method satisfies the mandated receipt requirements, to the Dallas County Elections Office (unless customers choose to mail in their completed Voter Registration forms themselves).