How do I apply for a library card?
Can my child register for a library card?
How much does it cost to get a library card?
Does my card expire?
What do I do if I lose my card?
What can I do without a library card?
What is a TexShare card?
How do I become eligible?
How do I participate?
You may apply for a library card in-person at the Check-out Desk at the DeSoto Public Library. To receive a library card, acceptable identification and proof of residency must be presented at the time of registration.
Acceptable forms of identification include:
- Driver’s license
- State Identification Card
- Military Identification
Acceptable forms of proof of residency include:
- Driver’s license
- Voter’s Registration Card
- Lease or Rent Agreement
- Utility Bill (Electric, Gas, Telephone, Water)
- Car Insurance
You may also get a library card started on-line.
Children under 16 applying for library cards must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian with acceptable identification and proof of residency.
Anybody in one of the following categories can receive a library card free of charge:
Non-Resident Library Cards
- Residents or owners of real or personal property in the City of DeSoto, Texas
- Employees who work in the City of DeSoto, Texas
- TexShare card holders
- DeSoto school teachers
- Residents of Cedar Hill, Texas
- Residents of Duncanville, Texas
- Residents of Lancaster, Texas
Families residing outside the City of DeSoto, owning no property within the City of DeSoto may purchase a non-resident library card for an annual fee of $15.00, valid for one year from the purchase date.
Resident cards are good for five years. Non-Resident cards are good for one year. When your card expires you simply come to the check out desk and a staff member will update your card for another 5 years for residents, 1 year for non-residents.
If your card is lost, call 972.230.9665 or visit the library during regular business hours to let us know. Cards may be replaced for free.
TexShare Card Program
The TexShare Card allows you to have direct access to books and other library materials that aren't available at your local academic or public libraries.
- Be a customer in good standing at your home library in order to participate. Your home library is the library that you are eligible to use for library services. The TexShare card is a privilege for those who can use library services in a responsible manner. You must be a customer in good standing with the Desoto Public Library for six months before you are eligible to participate in the Texshare Card program.
- Present valid identification along with the TexShare Card in order to borrow materials from participating TexShare libraries.
- Agree to return materials to the library from which they were borrowed, not to your home library.
- Return materials in person or by other methods outlined in the library's lending policy.
- Be responsible for any charges for late, damaged, or lost materials.
Lending policies are made by the individual libraries that participate in the TexShare Card program. Because of this, lending policies may vary from library to library. Be sure to check the lending policies for the library you wish to use.
To take Advantage of the TexShare Card Program, follow these simple steps:
- Register for and receive a TexShare card from your home library.
- Consult the TexShare website to see the list of libraries which participate and the specific lending policies of the library you wish to visit.
- Present your TexShare card, your library card from your home library, and a photo ID at the lending library's check out desk to activate your checkout privileges.
- Check out the books or other materials at the check out desk. It is your responsibility to take care of your borrowed materials and return them on time.