Steps to Filing a Citizen Complaint
1. If you wish to make a complaint about the actions of a DeSoto Police Officer or any aspect of the DeSoto Police Operations, or if you feel you are a victim of racial profiling, please:
2. Any DeSoto Police Officer will assist you in completing a complaint. You will be asked to identify yourself and then give specific details about your complaint.
3. Your complaint will then be investigated. You may be contacted and asked for additional information about your complaint. Please be aware of the following:
4. If the complaint involves extended investigation, you will receive a letter explaining approximately how long it will take.
5. When your complaint has been investigated, the Chief of Police will review the investigation and write you a letter explaining the results.
State of Texas: Government Code
§ 614.022. COMPLAINT TO BE IN WRITING AND SIGNED BY COMPLAINANT.
To be considered by the head of a state agency or by the head of a fire department or local law enforcement agency, the complaint must be:
(1) in writing; and
(2) signed by the person making the complaint
§ 614.023. COPY OF COMPLAINT TO BE GIVEN TO OFFICER OR EMPLOYEE.
(a) A copy of a signed complaint against a law enforcement officer of this state or a fire fighter, detention officer, county jailer, or peace officer appointed or employed by a political subdivision of this state shall be given to the officer or employee within a reasonable time after the complaint is filed.
(b) Disciplinary action may not be taken against the officer or employee unless a copy of the signed complaint is given to the officer or employee.