Rental Registration and Inspection Program
Tenants and Landlords:
The goal of the DeSoto Rental Registration and Inspection Ordinance is to preserve and improve rental properties in the city. The ordinance was adopted February 23, 2021 in response to the need for an organized inspection program to address minimum standards of new and aging rental units. The program is also designed to upgrade rental units to meet required health, safety, fire, and zoning codes. The program also provides a more efficient system for compelling both absentee and local landlords to correct violations and maintain rental units within the city. Most property owners and landlords are responsible in maintaining their rental properties in great condition. However, not all rental units provide a safe and healthy living environment for their renters. The city recognized that the most efficient system to provide for rental inspections is the creation of a program requiring the registration of all residential rental units within the city so that orderly inspection schedules can be made by city staff. Landlords and tenants are encouraged to understand and abide by ordinance regulations and laws in the city of DeSoto. Tenants should also know their rights and responsibilities for maintaining the property and home in which they live and in keeping their neighborhood a safe and attractive place.
The fee is $10.00 per unit. (Example: each side of a duplex counts as a unit, etc.)
To submit this Registration in paper form with payment (by check- only) you must call and schedule an appointment with the Code Enforcement Department at 469-658-3075.
Informational forms can be accessed below:
- When will the Rental Registration and Inspection Program begin?
- Why did the City adopt a rental program?
- Does the program apply to all rental properties?
- Do I have to have my rental property inspected annually?
- Do I have to register my rental property annually?
- What happens if I fail to register my property?
- Do I have to schedule my inspection or is it unannounced?
- Who is responsible for paying the registration fee?
- Will the inspector inspect the interior of my rental property?
- I’ve retained a property management company, will the city contact me directly or will they contact my property management company?
- I’ve owned a rental property in DeSoto for years – am I Grandfathered and exempt from the new ordinance?
- Does someone have to be present during the inspection?
- What if I have code enforcement violations? Do they have to comply also?