Citizens Police Advisory Committee (CPAC)
The City council has determined that appointing a Citizens Police Advisory Committee (CPAC) will increase transparency and community input in policing policies, and will promote and enhance citizen understanding, communication, and cooperation between the DeSoto Police Department (DPD) and the community.
- Comprised on eleven (11) members; seven (7) Committee members shall be appointed by the City Council; two (2) Committee members shall be appointed by DeSoto Police and Clergy (DPAC); and two (2) student Committee members shall be appointed by DeSoto ISD (DISD).
- Committee members are appointed for a term of two (2) years, with five (5) members rotating off CPAC each odd-numbered year and six (6) members rotating off CPAC each even-numbered year.
- To work together with the Chief of Police, or their designee, and the Internal Affairs Sergeant, to develop a more transparent police department.
- Be involved in and review and assist in the decision making process of improving the DeSoto Police Department’s policies and procedures.
- Perform other advisory tasks as the City Council may from time to time direct.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Become familiar with DPD’s polices and procedures.
- Gathering, evaluating and discussing all information relative to specific uses of force incidents.
- Identifying policing issues suitable for further review as requested by the Chief of Police or City Council.
- Recommending changes in the DPD’s polices and Procedures as needed.
The Committee shall meet on a monthly basis. A quorum of the Committee shall be six (6) members.
Sgt. David Williams
Councilmember Andre' Byrd